MEDIA GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
(Approved by the Georgetown ISD Board of Trustees July 26, 2010)Overview
- One of the primary ways that Georgetown ISD can educate the community about our programs and our success is to work very closely with local and regional news media. Outlined below are the Georgetown Independent School District’s media guidelines and procedures. These guidelines and procedures are designed to promote the success of our students and staff while keeping school day interruptions to a minimum and student safety at the forefront.
- Media representatives working on a story regarding the District, our students, our staff, or our facilities, are requested to contact the GISD School and Community Relations Office at (512) 943-1890. The primary point of contact is the Director of School and Community Relations. The department will assist media representatives in obtaining pertinent information, coordinating relevant interviews, and arranging for photo shoots or video footage. All students must have proper permission approvals before being photographed.
- At times, journalists will ask Georgetown ISD employees to participate in a story regarding the District or a specific campus. If a reporter wants to interview a staff member or student, please refer them to the School and Community Relations Office at (512) 943-1890 which will coordinate the district’s involvement. Occasionally, reporters may call a staff member or appear at a campus without advance notice or coordination through the School and Community Relations Office. If this should happen, simply remind the journalist of GISD’s Media Guidelines.
Submitting News Release Information
- The School and Community Relations Department will generate news releases which will be distributed to local media, regional media, and GISD electronic communication outlets. News release information is welcomed and encouraged from all campuses and departments.
Tips for Submitting Photos
- Teachers and staff should send their news worthy information and photographs to the Office of School and Community Relations which will edit and submit the story to the appropriate media channel. Each media outlet’s publisher or producer reserves the right to edit any and all materials submitted. News items and photographs may be e-mailed to CommunityRelations@georgetownisd.org.
Requesting Coverage of an Event
- Please submit digital photos only to the School and Community Relations office. Digital photos should be in JPEG format with a recommended dimension size of 640 X 480 to 1024 X 768. Digital photos larger than 1024 X 768 require more time to download when using the district’s electronic mail system. It is also recommended to send photos of small groups and not large groups of people. Remember to check student/parental permissions before photographing students.
- If an employee is requesting coverage of an upcoming special event at their campus, they should inform the School and Community Relations Office at least one week in advance of the event. Please provide as much detail as possible about the event. Contact the School and Community Relations Office at (512) 943-1890 with any questions regarding coverage.
- Office of School and Community Relations
- Georgetown Independent School District
- 603 Lakeway Drive
- Georgetown, Texas 78628
- (512) 943-1890
- (512) 943-1892 FAX
Contact information in this document was revised in October 2014.