For the residents of Georgetown, Williams Elementary was a place where they spent many a morning studying lessons and many an afternoon playing in the playground wondering when they would have a chance to slide down the "slide". With years of service and countless hours of teaching in it's past, many are glad to see the doors once again open to the children of Georgetown ready to make history and new memories. After extensive renovation, Williams Elementary became Georgetown ISD's eighth elementary school, serving grades 3-5. We are also proud to have Annie Purl Elementary
(grades PreK-2) as our sister school. Here are just a few snap shots of our "new" school. Welcome to Williams Elementary.
Williams Elementary is named in honor of Everette "Pop" Williams, a former principal of Georgetown High School, and serves grades 3-5 in Georgetown Independent School District.
Built in 1923-1924 on the original site of Southwestern University, the main building served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. A historical marker on the site notes: "Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish colonial revival style of architecture, the building features a baroque entryway with cast stone detailing that includes motifs of shells, flowers, urns, and garlands." The first graduating class planted all of the landscaping. The gymnasium and cafeteria were added in the 1940s, and the music building was added in the 1960s.
After the new high school building was opened, the Williams Elementary site served as Georgetown Junior High, then as an elementary school until 1999. From 1999 until renovations began last year, the building also housed the Safe Schools project and other community groups.
An extensive renovation project that included the addition of a new wing was completed in the summer of 2002, and Williams Elementary reopened in the fall of 2002.